|NEW: Detailed program see here: Program pdf
|Wednesday, 11 July 2012
|Arrival, registration starting at 9:00
18.00: Evening meal
Starting about 19:00: Opening lecture
|Thursday, 12 July 2012
Guided tour through Schöntal abbey (at noontime or in the evening)
|Friday, 13 July 2012
Afternoon: Excursion to the experimental site Details see below
|Saturday, 14 July 2012
Afternoon session, departure
|Sunday, 15 July 2012
|Departure of guests with additional overnight
|Two additional events will take place:
- Wednesday, 11 July, 14:00-18:00: Workshop by E. Schulz: Indicators in soil.
Human impact and regeneration.
The workshop will be based on soil/ topsoil samples from the Forchtenberg testsite
and other sites with a clear time frame and a known starting point of development.
NEW: Workshop (pdf)
- Sunday, 15 July: Excursion to the meteorite impact location Nördlinger Ries
NEW: Excursion Noerdlingen (pdf)
Excursion to the experimental site:
- The archaeologist Michael Kaiser made the stone axes and reaping knifes we used for experiments
in Forchtenberg. During the excursion he will show the making of the replicas and the use of the
neolithic tools, for example how to fell a tree.
- We like to show our experimental burning method on this day. Usually we burn in spring and autumn
and not in the summer, but we expect that there will be a great interest to see the burning method
and effects. (It won't be possible to show it in the case of heavy rainfall).
- We show some different crop cultivation methods (for example with burning, with hoeing etc.) and
there will be differences in crop growing and weeds to see.
- We provide guided tours of the experimental site with explanations of what happened where during
the last fourteen years (different stages of succession, the old experimental fields, second felling and
- We prepare soil profiles, some typical for the landscape as well as some
of the once burned sites, and explain the properties of the soils and the changes in
consequence of burning.
- On this day the participants get a lunch on the experimental site and in the evening there is a